_Fly Me To….
Interesting reading in the recently released draft 2018 Masterplan for Melbourne Airport– submissions are being received until 8 October 2018. This is the strategic document providing a blueprint for the Airport’s development over the next 20 years.
Some facts and figures we noted include:
- Melbourne Airport has been operating in its current location for almost 50 years.
- Much of the present core airport infrastructure was constructed in the 1960’s.
- Currently the airport has two runways and four terminals which service 650 daily flights.
- 95k passengers daily.
- 38 airlines connecting to more than 70 destinations.
- Major employment hub – more than 20,600 full time employees supporting more than 170,000 jobs.
- Contributes $17.6 billion to Victorian economy.
- In 2016-17 more than 35 million passengers and 275,000 tonnes of international freight passed through the airport.
The masterplan draft shows future provisions of:
- The 2023 development concept includes the Runway Development Program, with a third runway and extensions to the existing east-west runway.
- The 2038 concept includes the expansion of the terminal building and new extended piers.
- Annual passenger numbers to almost double to more than 65 million.
- Is stated as injecting $15.9 billion additional economic activity to Victoria.
- A new elevated connection onto the T123 ground transport hub and further freeway widening.
- Makes on-site provision for future rail access into the airport. Will continue to work closely with the Commonwealth and Victorian Governments (no further details!)